Thursday, April 29, 2010

Hot Springs

I just returned to Nashville from my first out-of-town show since relocated to the Southern portion of this here United States. Hot Springs, Arkansas - the childhood home of Bill Clinton - and one of the coolest clubs I've ever seen - Maxine's! And this is all thanks to the great Paul Sammons.


I first met Paul, a native of Arkansas, when he was part of a duo called the Antiques. He had recently "moved" to Seattle, and we both had a weekly gig at the Can Can in the Pike Place Market of Downtown Seattle. When my girlfriend Meagan and I found out they living in their car, she invited the Antiques to stay at her place as they settled into Seattle. But within a few months, the band dissolved and Paul returned to Arkansas. Fast-forward a year and half, now we are living in the south and I reach out to Paul. Within a couple days he has me booked in Hot Springs playing an amazing club where he is the "Artist in Residence."

This club reminded me a lot of the Can Can, with its seated audience of little tables and it's everything-black-and-red, "French Quarters" decor - but it was much bigger venue. And the sound was amazing, thanks in large part to their wonderful soundman, Jake.

For my set, it was just me and my acoustic guitar. Jake let me use a guitar pick-up he had, so I didn't have to mic the acoustic (which is always awkward, and usually results in quite a bit of feedback). In Nashville I've been used to playing shorter 30-40 minute sets, but to fill the hour set, I pulled out a few covers.

HERE'S THE SET-LIST (w/ clips from various solo shows)

1 Fair Warning
2 I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Dylan)
3 Honey I Choose You
4 Next Best Thing
5 Oh Lonesome Me (Don Gibson)
6 Idle Hands
7 Let Me Down Easy (Mark Pickerel)
8 Never Turnin' Back
9 I Gotta Get Drunk (Willie Nelson)
10 Death & Texas
11 Black Widow Blues (Townes Van Zandt)
12 So Hard to Make An Easy Getaway
13 Little Sister (Elvis)
14 Across the River
15 Country Heroes (Hank III)
16 I Know I Should Know Better


It was a chatty crowd, but a very responsive crowd. For the last song, Meagan brought our dog Boris on stage. I sang, "I Know I Should Know Better", to Boris as my closer.

Next up was Paul. I was immediately blown away by how much his music had evolved since I last shared a bill with him. With the Antiques, he had an interesting mix of classic country, originals with both southern and Seattle (grunge/folk) influences, as well as more gyspsy/vaudeville leanings. Now the music seems to come from a purer place, there is still the blues and country influences, but there is a positive force behind his music that wasn't as apparent before - and not in a sappy or cliche way, but very raw and inspired.

He is a very self-contained solo performer, using a very cool homemade "bass drum" (made with two pieces of wood around a pick-up that he stomps on), he alternated between acoustic guitar, and a hollow-bodied acoustic lap-steel that sounds amazing, and he also incorporates a didgeridoo, which adds texture and depth to these solo productions.

Being that he was the main attraction of the night, he broke up his 2 and half hour set with an intermission. During this break, the club owner Agnes (who incidentally was celebrating her birthday) encouraged Paul and I to collaborate on stage. I'm always up for something crazy, but Paul wanted to make sure we didn't make fools of ourselves - so we quietly strummed thru a few old songs then hit the stage together.


We kicked off with Hank Williams' classic, "Your Cheatin' Heart", which I sang lead, Paul added harmonies and took a few solo breaks on harmonica and guitar. Then we did "That's All Right Mama" which was still fresh in my mind from a recent Hootenanny at the Family Wash. And for good measure, I suggested we end our collaboration with Jimmy Reed's great blues song about trying to please, "Baby What You Want Me To Do." With that I handed the show back over to Paul and he played another hour or so, keeping the crowd happy til after 1am.

Paui was a great host as well. His mom lived only about a half hour away, and had an extra basement room (Paul's old room) so we had a free place to stay. We woke up around noon, and Paul lead us to a great local BBQ joint. We went back to his moms's, introduced Boris to the Sammon's family dogs, Babe and Lulu. What a great trip! I can hardly wait to get back to Hot Springs, explore Little Rock and see what other wonders this great South has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. favorite part: "our dog Boris" - so sweet, one big happy family :) I couldn't think of a better person to sing a song to! What tempo did you pick?

    ReplyDelete
  2. what tempo? I did it the way I've been playing it lately. I still wanna re-recording the song.

    ReplyDelete