Saturday, May 8, 2010

All the News That's Fit to Print

Life has gotten a bit busier the last couple of weeks. I've started working at my favorite honky tonk in downtown Nashville - Robert's Western World! The very first day we drove into town we stopped into Robert's. Seattle-native, and my girlfriend Meagan's lifelong friend, Sammy Barrett (who moved out here a couple years ago), has worked at Robert's for a while now and she helped me get the job. Most of the crew at Robert's has been working there for years, so I feel lucky that the timing worked out for them to hire on a new employee. For the most part I have been the "door guy", but I've also served as cook, and tonight I will be bar-backing for the first time. On my first night at the door, my neighbor and local photographer, Mickey Bernal shot this picture of me. It's been a great job to make new friends, and a good chance to meet some of the local heavy hitters - whether they are playing our stage or just quenching their thirst at the bar.

As I said in my previous entry, Meagan and I were very lucky that the recent flooding did not affect our home or our work. But to show you how bad some people got hit, here is a photo of Aaron Tosti, my frequent drummer, "fishing" in his normally lush, green and dry backyard. Tosti owns the place and has a few roomates rent from him. This gives me the chance to introduce Aaron's roommate and the newest member to my Nashville Wrecking Crew - the appropriately named, Eric Newcomer. Eric's main gig is playing bass with House of Heroes, but with lots of free time between tours, I've really enjoyed having him involved. Eric played bass for us at the 64-Ten show a couple weeks ago when my regular bassist Nathan Thomas was out of town. With Nathan securely behind that bass again Eric switched to lead guitar at our recent show at the Basement. This brings me to my next item...

The other personal headline of the week is that we are playing a *real show* this Monday night at the Basement. After a well-received short set last Tuesday for their "New Faces" night, owner Mike Grimes has asked us to return for a two-band bill we are sharing with Chelle Rose. He's hoping we can bring 25 people out, so I've been posting about it non-stop on facebook and twitter. If you are in the Nashville area, come on down, it should be the best show yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment