Saturday, March 27, 2010

Man Up to the Man

Over the last few weeks, a few realities have come to my attention.

I need a job. My dreams are still intact, but I also have rent due. Between savings, and having my folks sell off more and more of my stuff that I left behind, I’ve been able to make rent work. Until now. My only hope for this month’s rent is my tax return. Although, Meagan and I moved out here with the dream that she would get a rad music business job and I would be able to focus entirely on my writing and performing – as the eloquent Spinal Tap line goes - "Money talks and bullsh*t walks." Meagan’s been working as a receptionist for a car dealership (which has inspired her very entertaining Receptionist Diaries) for over a month, and I suppose it’s time to man-up and start paying my dues to the man.

Another reality that really hit recently is that Nashville is not the town I should be spending all my energy trying to entertain. I knew this, vaguely, when I was planning the move, but now I see it more clearly. There is more than enough fish in this pond to go around. Nashville is a perfect location to live, so one can easily access many major cities within a day’s drive. Memphis, Atlanta, Little Rock, Chicago, Louisville, and the list goes on.

Also, I’ve been putting a lot of pressure on myself to write as much as possible. And while, it’s never a bad thing to be prolific, in reality all my songs are brand new to most people in this region. So again, getting out of town and sharing my trunk load of songs with fresh ears is what I should be doing.

So these are my goals of the moment. Get a job (a part-timer or a flexible full-time) and start booking quick out of town gigs. No brick wall, just a few forks in the road.

I’ll leave you with a song that have been on my mind as of late…

2 comments: